Monday, April 28, 2014

Week of 4/28-5/4: New - The Grace Shaped Family of God

Day Two: Galatians 2:15-21 We who are Jews by birth and not “Gentile sinners” know that no one is justified by the works of the law but by faith in Jesus Christ. And we have believed in Christ Jesus so that we might be justified by faith in Christ and not by the works of the law, because by the works of the law no human being will be justified. But if we ourselves are also found to be “sinners” while seeking to be justified by Christ, is Christ then a promoter of sin? Absolutely not! If I rebuild the system I tore down, I show myself to be a lawbreaker. For through the law I have died to the law, so that I might live for God. I have been crucified with Christ and I no longer live, but Christ lives in me. The life I now live in the body, I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave Himself for me. I do not set aside the grace of God, for if righteousness comes through the law, then Christ died for nothing.

IMAGINE THIS: YOU’RE STARVING. Even though it is noon, the day has already been long and the lunch lady’s version of “speghana” (that left over spaghetti and lasagna mix) does not work for you this time. So on your way home, you stop at McDonald’s to grab a bit of Dollar Menu deliciousness. After placing your order for a McDouble and large fries, you realize you have no cash. The total is $4.72 but you are broke. No way is this happening!
Out of nowhere a man who had been standing in line puts down a $5 bill to cover your late lunch. He then steps out the door and into the parking lot. There is no way to repay him. There is no way to work for the $5.It is a gift and you have accepted it.
Salvation is God’s gift to you.Obviously, salvation is infinitely more meaningful and costly than a burger. Also, Christ didn’t simply pay a debt and walk away, He paid a debt so He could then build a relationship. But, much like the burger in this story, the gift cannot be repaid or earned. Your only reasonable response is to accept it and then live a life of worship and obedience. The life that we live as Christ followers is a response to what Jesus has already done for us.
Salvation has been given by grace.You cannot be good enough or do good enough.You are not nice enough or even good looking enough (despite what mom says).Salvation is all about Jesus.Take a moment and thank God for His grace today.Thank Him that even though you aren’t good enough, He is!

PAUSE AND REFLECT
How have you seen grace at work in your life?
▷▷Why is it comforting to know that you cannot earn your salvation?
▷▷How does understanding God’s grace impact how you will live today?

No comments:

Post a Comment