Monday, March 31, 2014

Week of 3/31-4/6: His Life - The Suffering King

Day Three: Matthew 27:45-50 From noon until three in the afternoon darkness came over the whole land. About three in the afternoon Jesus cried out with a loud voice, “Elí, Elí, lemá sabachtháni?” that is, “My God, My God, why have You forsaken Me?” When some of those standing there heard this, they said, “He’s calling for Elijah!” Immediately one of them ran and got a sponge, filled it with sour wine, fixed it on a reed, and offered Him a drink. But the rest said, “Let’s see if Elijah comes to save Him!” Jesus shouted again with a loud voice and gave up His spirit.

I REMEMBER A CERTAIN TOY STORE in a mall my parents took me to when I was younger. This store was awesome! It was full of displays and demonstrations went from toy to toy, being totally engrossed in the experience.
As a kid it was easy to get lost in my own little world playing with the fun and unique displays. Unfortunately, for me, “getting lost” extended into physical realm as well. In the midst of my intense play session, I somehow got separated from my parents’ vividly remember the terror of finally realizing that my parents were no longer by my side felt completely alone and helpless. While in reality my parents found me in a few short minutes, those few minutes felt like forever!
I would not wish the fear I experienced during those moments on my worst enemy. Amazingly, Jesus willingly went to the cross where He took the sin of the world on Himself causing the Father turn his face away. For the first and only time in His life, Jesus experienced His father’s absence. Even though this experience lasted just for a short time, it probably felt like an eternity for Jesus.
This truth is vitally important to us. Now, because Christ took on the sins of those who put their faith in Him, we never have to be separated from the Father. The gospel tells us that Jesus took the punishment and wrath of God on our behalf. Now, we are able to rejoice in the fact that we can not only have a relationship with the creator of the universe, but we never have to worry about the terror of lostness again!

PAUSE AND REFLECT
Why is the feeling of “lostness” so terrifying?
▷▷What is significant about Jesus experiencing this feeling of “lostness” when suffering on the cross?
▷▷How has Jesus defeated and overcome “lostness” in the world?

No comments:

Post a Comment