Monday, September 16, 2013

Week 9/16-9/22: Broken Response - God's Law for Life

Day Two: Exodus 12:11-13 Here is how you must eat it: dressed for travel, your sandals on your feet, and your staff in your hand. You are to eat it in a hurry; it is the LORD’s Passover. “I will pass through the land of Egypt on that night and strike every firstborn [male] in the land of Egypt, both man and beast. I am the LORD; I will execute judgments against all the gods of Egypt. The blood on the houses where you are staying will be a distinguishing mark for you; when I see the blood, I will pass over you. No plague will be among you to destroy [you] when I strike the land of Egypt.

For the full story, read verses 5-10 in your Bible.

WHEN I WAS GROWING UP, my grandparents seemed to always have new kittens coming and going from their back yard. One of my favorite games to play with the young cats was named “The Claw.” The game was simple: quietly approach unsuspecting kitten with my hand slightly spread and fingers bent into the shape of a claw. While the cats always seemed to enjoy the game, I would inevitably come home with scratches all up and down my arms from where the cats had gotten “The Claw.” This led to the following interaction with my mother:
Mom: “What happened to your arm!?!”
Me: “One of the kittens scratched it.”
Mom: “Were you aggravating it?”
Me: “Of course not! I was just playing ‘The Claw.’ ”
Mom: “Well, then, I don’t feel sorry for you. You got what you deserved.”
Notice that last phrase: “You got what you deserved.” Have you ever been told that in the midst of a pain or trouble? Have you ever thought that about someone else’s misfortunes? Better yet, have you ever considered what we truly deserve in light of our continued sin?
Scripture is clear that the only thing we as sinners deserve is death (Rom. 1:32). Fortunately, just as God delivered Israel from the punishment they deserved here in Exodus, God delivers those who trust in Him from the punishment they deserve through the blood of Christ (Rom. 5:8)!

PAUSE AND REFLECT
What does it mean to “get what you deserve”?
▷▷What is that we all truly deserve?
▷▷How are we rescued from what we truly deserve?

No comments:

Post a Comment